Re: query optimization scenarios 17,701 times faster!!!

From: Dennis Björklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Robert Dyas <rdyas(at)adelphia(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: query optimization scenarios 17,701 times faster!!!
Date: 2003-04-23 20:20:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Robert Dyas wrote:

> 2) it appears that the optimizer is doing all of the join work before ever
> considering the impact of where clause restrictions. (this may not be the
> case, but it appears so)

What version of postgres do you use? I think the current cvs should handle
the joins better then the current released versions. I don't use the cvs
version myself, but I think I've seen people say that the cvs version
optimizes joins better.

If you could try the same examples on the cvs version if would be fun to
see some numbers.

--
/Dennis