Time zone abbreviations and calendars

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Time zone abbreviations and calendars
Date: 2003-03-07 14:58:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Considering the time zone abbreviations that are accepted on input, I find
a couple of bogosities:

WDT +09:00 West Australian Daylight Time
AWST +08:00 Australia Western Standard Time
WADT +08:00 West Australian Daylight Time
WST +08:00 West Australian Standard Time
WAST +07:00 West Australian Standard Time

At least two of these are evidently wrong. Who knows which?

FWT +02:00 French Winter Time
FST +01:00 French Summer Time

These are mixed up. (I doubt these abbreviations even need to exist.
France uses Central European Time.)

I also have some doubts about the terminology offered in the "History of
Units" section. It says

Julian day = invented by Scaliger, counts days from 1 January 4713 BC
Julian date = invented by Caesar, predecessor of modern calendar

However, my sources say that the first is the "Julian date" and the second
is simply the Julian calendar. Ideas?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net