Re: Few Simple Questions

From: Ivan <iv(at)psycho(dot)pl>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Few Simple Questions
Date: 2003-02-28 20:27:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Richard Huxton wrote:

> On Thursday 27 Feb 2003 8:05 pm, Ivan wrote:
> > HI
> >
> > how can i get user ip, who can only connect by tcp/ip , for example in
> > plpgsql function . ??
>
> This has come up before - check the archives, I'm afraid I can't remember the
> solution.

Yes, i saw it, but there are no solution, "because not all connection can
be throught tcp/ip" , but i asking about only tcp/ip transmisions .. ??

> > how can declare and define my own variables in each connect to db, and
> > read it / or change it in plpgsql function ?
>
> You can't AFAIK - usual method is to store session variables in the
> application or in a session-table.
>
> > is possible to create this same name of users in one postmaster but in
> > different db ?
>
> Not AFAIK - users are for a cluster of databases, a whole installation.
>
> > how to change default grant to created objects, (tables ,functions, etc) ?
>
> Sorry, not sure what you mean here.

When i created same object like table , function , etc, pg give my object
same default perms, like all to owner, for functions execute for all etc,
how can i change it ?

> > where can i change max length of function's name ? its can be only in one
> > place ?
>
> Don't know, but it will be in the source code and will probably affect all
> objects (you'll be redefining the "name" type I'd suspect).

i thing it will be somewhere same static table ( like in C progs.) and
then should be only sizeof , bat im not sure , so i asking before starting
search.

> > how can i return more then 1 row in one time in function with SETOF
> > same_type; (plpgsql) like : RETURN NEXT SELECT f FROM BIG_TABLE ;
>
> Look up table functions in the 7.3 manuals, and on
> http://techdocs.postgresql.org - there are some good examples in techdocs.

i've already read man :(

> > how to disallow user to create anything, user for example can select from
> > same function. this user also can not see others databases and objects in
> > actual db .. etc ( it should be default ?? ) ?
>
> Not sure you can stop them seeing other objects. If a user can't read the
> system tables, they can't see anything.

because my simply one user can onle select from same tables , he cant
updating , deleteing, etc, but he can do for example create table, :(

> > how set default value of function's args.
>
> Well, this depends on the language you write the function in. It won't help
> much though, because PG's type matching doesn't allow you to leave out
> function arguments. if it's defined as f(int,int) then it needs two integers
> passed to it.

:(