Re: Prepare and prepare ?

From: Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>
To: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Rudy Lippan <rlippan(at)remotelinux(dot)com>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <dbi-dev(at)perl(dot)org>, <dbi-users(at)perl(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Prepare and prepare ?
Date: 2003-02-13 03:56:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, David Wheeler wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 12, 2003, at 08:49 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Let's get the small UTF patch into a DBD:pg release, then we can just
> > put it all into the main CVS and do a beta/final release with his
> > changes. I don't see why we need to create a branch.

Sounds good to me.

> Works for me...unless Rudy's planning to break the backwards
> compatibility of the UTF-8 patch. ;-)

I would rather it be done the right way the first time; that being said,
we can add the whatever_utf_8 (don't remember name from patch) attribute
and then: 1) Flag it in the docs as expermental and don't use. 2)
or when DBD::Pg decides that PostgreSQL wants to send UTF data, use the
whatever_utf_8 attribute to decide whether to flag the returned data as
such (ie. set the default to false for now, & if whatever_utf_8 is true
trun on UTF for all data coming out of the db. Then in the next version
set the default to true, and set UTF8 iff whatever_utf_8 is true and
DBD::Pg the client character set is UTF8). 3) do both. 4) do something
better.

With 2, the patch goes in as is and backwards compatibility does not
get broken in the next version. Just a thought.

Ideas, Suggestions?

-r