Re: Status report: regex replacement

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Status report: regex replacement
Date: 2003-02-10 18:57:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> code is concerned: the regex library actually offers three regex
> flavors, "advanced", "extended", and "basic", where "extended" matches
> what we had before ("extended" and "basic" correspond to different
> levels of the POSIX 1003.2 standard). We just need a way to expose
> that knob to the user. I am thinking about inventing yet another GUC
> parameter, say

Perhaps it should be exposed through different operators. If someone uses
packages (especially functions) provided externally, they might have a
hard time coordinating what flavor is required by which part of what he is
using.

By analogy, imagine there was an environment variable that switched all
grep's to egrep's. That would be a complete mess.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net