Re: [SQL] Search and Replace

From: "Randy D(dot) McCracken" <rdm(at)srs(dot)fs(dot)usda(dot)gov>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah(dot)" <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] Search and Replace
Date: 2003-01-10 00:15:51
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:00:32AM +0530, Rajesh Kumar Mallah. wrote:
> >
> > any anyone explain whats wrong with the replace based solution to this problem
> > which i posted earlier?
> >
> > did i misunderstood anything?
>
> Probably just overkill - I'm sure it would work, but, based on how the
> question was asked, I guessed that the original questioner was looking
> for a quick, onetime fix sort of thing, and wasn't real comfortable with
> SQL, let alone adding contrib extension products to the installation.
>
> Ross

Hi Rajesh,

I don't know why but the example you gave me did not work. Here is what
happened when I tried:

pubs_test=# UPDATE publications SET url = replace( 'www.srs.fs.fed.us' ,
'www.srs.fs.usda.gov' , url ) WHERE url ilike '%www.srs.fs.fed.us%';

ERROR: Function 'replace(unknown, unknown, text)' does not exist
Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument types
You may need to add explicit typecasts