Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>, Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?
Date: 2002-12-11 19:56:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian writes:

> OK, seeing that we don't have a third number, do people want me to
> increment the interface numbers for 7.3.1, or just wait for the
> increment in 7.4?

ISTM that the briefly established strategy to bump the version numbers at
the beginning of development is not satisfactory. The reason is that the
"beginning" is in many cases not well-defined. Example 1: If we hadn't
noticed the PQnotifies() problem that started this thread we would have
forgotten again. Example 2: If someone put a fix of some sort in libpq
for 7.3.1, we would surely forget to bump the version number.

Consequence: The library version number must be bumped as part of the
release preparation, as is in fact written down in the release checklist.
And such a bump should be done only after reviewing the change history of
the library during that development cycle to determine if a major bump is
necessary or if in fact no change at all is warranted.

As for what to do right now, if others agree I would suggest that we do
the appropriate version number adjustments (as described in the previous
paragraph) for 7.3.1.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net