Re: Manual pages

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Manual pages
Date: 2002-11-30 00:37:13
Lists: pgsql-docs

Vince Vielhaber writes:

> That's interesting 'cuze I'm not generating them. I seem to recall the
> decision to drop the man pages in either late vedr 6.x or early 7.0. I
> didn't know they were still happening. In any case we should find out
> how they're getting into /dev/doc and change that rather than just moving
> a file that could end up in the same place again.

The man pages are contained in the postgresql-*.tar.gz tarball, the same
way they have been for many releases. I generate them nowadays and upload
them from time to time so that the release building process can pick them
up. There isn't a strong reason that they are made available on the ftp
site, except that it has always been that way and possibly so that people
could download them during the development cycle, in the same way they can
download the HTML version of the documentation. But there isn't any
reason why they have to be copied elsewhere because anyone who downloads
PostgreSQL already has them and using them separately is not supported.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net