Re: 7.3b3 on MacOSX 10.2.1

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.3b3 on MacOSX 10.2.1
Date: 2002-10-30 19:35:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane writes:

> No, there should be ~80 tests in all. I'm not sure why the pg_regress
> script is failing to process the remaining tests when this happens; any
> ideas out there?

It appears that the shell simply aborts on fork failure. Example:

peter ~$ cat test.sh
ulimit -u 30

for i in $(seq 1 25); do
echo $i
( sleep 5 ) &
echo ok
done

wait
echo "all done"
peter ~$ sh test.sh
1
ok
2
test.sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
peter ~$

In pg_regress, the big loop is probably done in a subshell, because it's
in a pipe, so the outer script can complete. Detecting failures in
commands in a pipe is of course a bit tricky.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net