Re: [HACKERS] Request for supported platforms

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pgsql-Cygwin <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Request for supported platforms
Date: 2002-10-30 18:36:40
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-hackers

Dave Page writes:

> Hackers: As the Cygwin release that is actively supported is the binary
> distribution that Jason builds, I would think this is OK to be listed as
> supported if no-one disagrees...

I disagree. We document as supported those platforms that build out of
the box, not those that build somehow, somewhere, by someone.

Rather than advocating methods to manually edit your system headers we
should try to find out what the problem really is, such as by analyzing
config.log.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net