Re: CVS split problems

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS split problems
Date: 2002-10-22 20:10:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier writes:

> Okay, this is the only message(s) I have on this ... since "merging"
> earthdistance back into the tree will most likely cause more headaches,
> breakage and outcries, and since I see no reason why anyone would want to
> 'checkout' a module that has already been checked out (instead of doing an
> update like the rest of us), there is no way I'm going to put
> earthdistance back in ...
>
> ... unless there is, in fact, a completely different problem?

It causes a useless and confusing divergence between the module names used
to check out things and the names that appear in various messages, files,
and the online views. Certainly it'd be a bad idea to do this now, but
please do it after 7.3 is released. Just because removing a silliness
causes a brief inconvenience is no reason to hang on to a silliness.

> Once v7.3 is released, I'd like to see a continuation of moving the
> non-core stuff over to GBorg, as well, so this will likely disappear at
> that time ...

The issues I point out would continue to exist.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net