Re: Regression test failure.

From: Robert Hentosh <hentosh(at)io(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression test failure.
Date: 2002-10-22 22:35:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Robert Hentosh <hentosh(at)io(dot)com> writes:
> > I am receiving a regression test failure in about 1 out of 12 test runs.
>
> I am amazed no one has reported this before :-(
>
> Upon looking, I see that the parallel test schedule tries to run
> create_misc and create_index in parallel, but the latter uses tables
> that are created by the former. AFAICT the diffs you show can all
> be explained by create_misc not having executed completely when
> create_index looks at those tables.

Thanks for the prompt diagnosis.

> By rights this failure should have been noticed long ago. Perhaps there
> is some scheduler peculiarity on your machine that makes it more prone
> than others to execute the different jobs with just the right timing to
> manifest the error.

It occured on my first test after I compiled it. I then repeated the
regression test and couldn't get it to happen again and was thinking maybe
it only occured on a fresh install. I was about to do a fresh install,
when I got it to fail again on the 24th "make check" according to my
history file.

I probably should have scripted it...

Regards,
Robert