Re: Regression test failure.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Hentosh <hentosh(at)io(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression test failure.
Date: 2002-10-22 17:32:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert Hentosh <hentosh(at)io(dot)com> writes:
> I am receiving a regression test failure in about 1 out of 12 test runs.

I am amazed no one has reported this before :-(

Upon looking, I see that the parallel test schedule tries to run
create_misc and create_index in parallel, but the latter uses tables
that are created by the former. AFAICT the diffs you show can all
be explained by create_misc not having executed completely when
create_index looks at those tables.

By rights this failure should have been noticed long ago. Perhaps there
is some scheduler peculiarity on your machine that makes it more prone
than others to execute the different jobs with just the right timing to
manifest the error.

We really gotta do some work to validate the parallel test schedule
a little better... this sort of thing has popped up before.