Re: new String(byte[]) performance

From: Aaron Mulder <ammulder(at)alumni(dot)princeton(dot)edu>
To: PostgreSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new String(byte[]) performance
Date: 2002-10-21 03:50:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Teofilis Martisius wrote:
> The things that take up most time now is transferring everything over
> network (PG_Stream.receiveTuple if i remember correctly) and allocating
> memmory for byte[] arrays. But I don't know any way to speed them up.

There is probably room for improvement here under JDK 1.4, if we
want to get really fancy. I think we could manipulate IO buffers to read
directly from the network into byte arrays, rather than reading in from
the network at the hardware level, allocating a new buffer in the program,
and then copying the data from the network buffer to the program buffer.
But of course, IANAIOGuy; I've never actually tried that... :)

Aaron