Re: Bug #799: configure does not check for -lodbcinst

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: staschuk(at)telusplanet(dot)net, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug #799: configure does not check for -lodbcinst
Date: 2002-10-18 22:11:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> When configure is run with
> ./configure --enable-odbc --with-unixodbc
> it does not verify that -lodbcinst works. The absence of this
> library (or misarranged symbolic links, etc.) is not detected
> until relatively far into the build, when the ODBC driver is
> actually compiled. Better, imho, to check at configure time
> so the user can fix the problem without investing time in a
> build process which will fail.

It is not the job of the configure script to predict inevitable build
failures. If we did that then it would take a lot longer to run it than
just starting the build and seeing it fail. Moreover, note that you can
just install the missing library and continue the build were it stopped.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net