Re: [SQL] arrays

From: Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: Mike Sosteric <mikes(at)athabascau(dot)ca>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] arrays
Date: 2002-09-30 13:18:54
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> It is unusual to want to store arrays in a database. Normally you want to
> use additional tables instead. For example multilanguage titles is something
> I would expect to be in a table that had a column referencing back to
> another table defining the object a title was for, a column with the
> title and a column with the language.

I think arrays are one of the cool features of postgres
(along with gist indexes).

Here are some common uses:

- Tree representation (the genealogical from child to ancestors approach)
- Storing of polynomial formulae of arbitary degree

checkout the intarray package in contrib for further info.

I think pgsql arrays provide a natural solution to certain problems
where it fits.

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel: +30-10-8981112
fax: +30-10-8981877
email: achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com
mantzios(at)softlab(dot)ece(dot)ntua(dot)gr