"Custom" records?

From: Joel Palmius <joel(dot)palmius(at)mh(dot)se>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "Custom" records?
Date: 2002-09-19 09:53:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Before asking this, I suspect that the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway.

Is there a way to return a completely custom column/row record from a
plpgsql function?

I'd want a function "Descriptives(int)" with results to looking like the
below when SELECT:ed :

measurement | value
Mean | 15.8
Median | 16.0
Std.dev | 0.8
Max | 38.0
Min | 0.0

If not possible in plpgsql, is there a workaround while still not having
an external program fetching a lot of data from the DB to do the
calculation?

// Joel