Re: index performance question

From: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: index performance question
Date: 2002-09-18 20:59:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

Yes, indeed.

The workaround was quite simple (for min and max).

But, having read the postings, I must cast my vote for fixing at least the
standard aggregates so that they work faster (by being smarter). I realize
that there is a trade off for allowing the building of custom aggregates
but it is certainly not a good selling point (selling is relative of course
since pgsql is free) if basic funcionality has bad performance.

I deal with those that think we should be using, gulp, Oracle, a db I have
up to now in my db career been able to avoid. Their argument, how could
pgsql have the capabilities that are needed it doesn't even have replication
or the ability to query more than one database.

I try to convey the abilities that this server has but it's hard to back
that up when the basic functions operate in a not so good manner.

Just my 2 cents. And, don't get me wrong, I love postgresql.

L.

--
Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group