Re: C vs. C++ contributions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Marc Lavergne <mlavergne-pub(at)richlava(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: C vs. C++ contributions
Date: 2002-08-28 18:27:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc Lavergne writes:

> This covers a few different sub-projects so I'm breaking it down in
> order of how I'm going to attack it.

Just to give you a fair warning: I'm not going to be in favor of adding
any "Oracle compatibility" functionality that overlaps with existing
and/or standardized functionality. That kind of thing would lock us into
an endless catch-up game and would induce users to code their applications
to proprietary interfaces.

I suppose some of the things you propose would be external applications,
such as the export file reader or the SQL*Net proxy. The synonym
functionality would be interesting to add, since there is no existing
feature of that type. But random misfeatures such as the join syntax or
the decode() function are going to have a hard time getting accepted.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net