Re: Naming-scheme for db-files

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
To: Markus Wollny <Markus(dot)Wollny(at)computec(dot)de>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Naming-scheme for db-files
Date: 2002-08-28 16:08:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Markus Wollny dijo:

> Yes, I run vacuum every night - and log-output indicates no errors at
> all. Yet I am indeed quite puzzled about the size of this table. Is
> there some way of finding out which column consumes so much space?

[lots of NUMERIC in table description]

NUMERIC is not the best thing to use for the most of these cases. Use
INTEGER where you want a number (user_id, etc), or better yet SERIAL
(see the docs for implications).

Where you want boolean values, use BOOL. Where you want multiple
choice, use "char" (with the ""); that gives you a 1-char space.

This way the table will be probably not only way smaller, but faster as
well.

"El que vive para el futuro es un iluso, y el que vive para el pasado,
un imbécil" (Luis Adler, "Los tripulantes de la noche")