Re: [GENERAL] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Linux Largefile Support In Postgresql RPMS
Date: 2002-08-12 20:07:18
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Oliver Elphick writes:

> One person said:
> However compiling with largefile support will change the size
> of off_t from 32 bits to 64 bits - if postgres uses off_t or
> anything else related to file offsets in a binary struct in one
> of the database files you will break stuff pretty heavily. I
> would not compile postgres with largefile support until it
> is officially supported by the postgres developers.
>
> but I cannot see that off_t is used in such a way.

This is not the only issue. You really need to check all uses of off_t
(for example printf("%ld", off_t) will crash) and all places where off_t
should have been used in the first place. Furthermore you might need to
replace ftell() and fseek() by ftello() and fseeko(), especially if you
want pg_dump to support large archives.

Still, most of the configuration work is already done in Autoconf (see
AC_FUNC_FSEEKO and AC_SYS_LARGEFILE), so the work might be significantly
less than the time spent debating the merits of large files on these
lists. ;-)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net