Re: Any Plans for cross database queries on the same server?

From: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
To: Mark Walker <furface(at)omnicode(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any Plans for cross database queries on the same server?
Date: 2007-01-30 23:25:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Mark Walker wrote:

> LOL, I remember those days. "Uh, can you hold on? My computer just
> went down." or "you need to fill out form 1203-B, send us $25 and we'll
> get you the information you need in six weeks." Just kidding, but
> certainly reliability standards and information demands are much higher
> these days, aren't they?

"Reliability standards ... higher these days?"

-har-har-har!- That's a good one!

Sure, in terms of bits moved/processed between hardware failures, things
have much improved, but I can't help but think if what a joke it is that
favored operating systems think it's OK to run out of memory for their own
activity and randomly kill processes so they don't hang! HAH! Some
Reilability. And people think this is a Good Thing (tm) because 1% of
overhead was saved!

<rant>
Sure wish the Open Source OS people would get a clue; paying a percent or
so for reliability pays for itself thousands of times over and most
people, if knowledgeable, would choose to spend the overhead to have a
system that really is reliable.
</rant>

Richard

--