Re: Postgres and multiprocessor?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: mlists <mlists(at)panforma(dot)co(dot)yu>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres and multiprocessor?
Date: 2004-03-08 21:10:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, mlists wrote:

> Can PostgreSQL use multiple processors if they are present in a
> computer, and if so, how much will it speed up database server? Tnx in
> advance.

Yes, Postgresql can use >1 CPU. Each process can use one, and only one
CPU by itself. however, the OS can use another CPU, and another user can
use another CPU.

The difference it makes depends greatly on your load. If your database
application is CPU intensive, and currently CPU bound, then yes, of
course, the extra CPUS will help. If your application is I/O / memory BW
bound, then no, extra CPUs won't help much.