Re: Disappointing performance in db migrated from MS SQL

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
Cc: Leon Out <leon-lists(at)comvision(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disappointing performance in db migrated from MS SQL
Date: 2004-02-17 15:17:44
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 matt(at)ymogen(dot)net wrote:

> > Josh, the disks in the new system should be substantially faster than
> > the old. Both are Ultra160 SCSI RAID 5 arrays, but the new system has
> > 15k RPM disks, as opposed to the 10k RPM disks in the old system.
>
> Spindle speed does not correlate with 'throughput' in any easy way. What
> controllers are you using for these disks?

This is doubly so with a good RAID card with battery backed cache.

I'd bet that 10k rpm drives on a cached array card will beat an otherwise
equal setup with 15k rpm disks and no cache. I know that losing the cache
slows my system down to a crawl (i.e. set it to write thru instead of
write back.) comparitively speaking.