LIMIT modifier

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: LIMIT modifier
Date: 2003-12-15 17:32:34
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm dealing with a project that requires me to query a MS SQL Server. Not
a PostgreSQL issue I know but I want to ask if the LIMIT modifier is SQL
standard? MS SQL Server uses a TOP modifier.

select top 1 * from xxx;

Whereas all the SQL RDBMS' I've used before used

select * from xxx limit 1;

Any enlightenment is appreciated. (I'm putting notes in the code to
reflect the non-standard stuff I've had to deal with.)

TIA,
Rod