Re: Good open source mailing list system PHP / Postgresql

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: "Randolf Richardson, DevNet SysOp 29" <rr(at)8x(dot)ca>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2003-12-01 18:10:57
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Randolf Richardson, DevNet SysOp 29 wrote:

> > An ISP I belong to uses Majordomo for their mailing list system. I'd like
> > to encourage them to move to a system that uses a database, preferably
> > psql which they already run on their server. Anything out there in Php?
>
> I doubt there's anything in PHP since PHP is a language purely used for
> the dynamic generation of web pages (and possibly other types of documents
> for any other systems which are able to embed PHP on the server-side in a
> similar fashion to Dynamic HTML in the way Apache HTTPd does).
>
> You may have more success if you search on PERL or other languages.

This is simply not true. PHP comes in both a web ready embedded version,
as well as a CLI version, and is quite capable, even of handling things
like streams and such, and can even be used to write a daemon listening on
a port quite easily.

Just because it (probably) hasn't been used to write such a system doesn't
mean you couldn't do it in PHP.