Re: Year of the Open-Source Database

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)acm(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Year of the Open-Source Database
Date: 2003-11-18 17:53:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> It's one of the historic problems, actaully. Postgres was a database
> product that used PostQUEL. When SQL got put in, Postgres85 was
> born, and soon renamed PostgreSQL to highlight its SQL capabilities.
> But it's a mouthful. So people might correctly say, "Postgres
> (formally known as 'PostgreSQL' and formerly 'Postgres')." But it
> would cause grave confusion and general unhappiness.

Well that does add some confusion. The reason I even mentioned it was
because of a message/thread earlier this month (last month?) about
Postgres vs. PostgreSQL. It is a mouthful for sure and I find myself
slurring the QL so it comes out mostly as Postgres (unless I've had a few
pints then I drool the last :-).

Rod