Re: steps to ensure referential integrity

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Jodi Kanter <jkanter(at)virginia(dot)edu>
Cc: Postgres Admin List <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: steps to ensure referential integrity
Date: 2003-09-23 16:52:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Jodi Kanter wrote:

> I have inherited a database that was originally created in postgres
> version 6.? There were no steps taken at that time to implement
> constraints to ensure referential integrity. There are no FK
> constraints, PK constraints, etc..
> Most of what currently exists is done in the existing code. I would like
> to change this and am interested in getting suggestions. I expect that
> PK constraints on each table as well as all FK constraints should be in
> place. Anything else that I should consider?
> I have indexes currently set up on a variety of fields, including PK
> fields. Do the constraints automatically generate indexes on these
> fields such that I should remove the ones created at the end of my script?
> Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

I would first upgrade to a reasonably new version of Postgesql 6.5.x is
pretty old. 7.3.4 or so should be a good choice. You'll find that you
can add the pk/fk constraints in the conversion process, and still have a
faster database with fk/pk under 7.3 than you'd have with no fk/pk
constraints in 6.5.3