Re: change of table name - any help

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: chakkara rangarajan <ranga(at)dvdstation(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: change of table name - any help
Date: 2003-09-17 19:57:23
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, chakkara rangarajan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We have a development server running
>
> OS - Linux, 2.4.20-openmosix-r4
>
> DB - postgresql 7.3
>

> We have a table ctcert_name under postgres DB(postgres schema and postgres
> user is the owner). Suddenly, this object started missing from the DB (I am
> the only
>
> Person who connects to that server and did not drop/renamed it). When I
> tried to recreate the same table, the system threw me back an error, saying
> that "postgres.ctcert_name" already exists. I am neither able to drop or
> rename the table.
>

> Can somebody please tell me, what cud have gone wrong and is the error is
> reproduceable? What is the solution for this kind of problem.
>
> Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Are you running 7.3, or 7.3.4 or something in between? There are known
data loss issues with 7.3.0 through 7.3.3 that would make it a good idea
to upgrade.

That said, if this isn't a bug in 7.3, there's a good chance you have
either a hard drive with bad blocks or possible bad memory. You might
wanna do a bad blocks check as well as run memtest86. Then, reask your
question in -general getting Tom's attention about this problem. He's one
of the folks who truly understand the underlying catalog system and what
it means when things like this go wrong.