Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jean-Luc Lachance <jllachan(at)nsd(dot)ca>, Frank Miles <fpm(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>, Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A creepy story about dates. How to prevent it?
Date: 2003-06-23 14:52:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > Reading the subject, "creepy ... dates", that is exactly how I feel
> > about the described current date behavior --- "creepy".
> >
> > Because I have only seen one person defend our current behavior, and
> > many object, I am going to add to TODO:
> >
> > * Allow current datestyle to restrict dates; prevent month/day swapping
> > from making invalid dates valid?
> > * Prevent month/day swapping of ISO dates to make invalid dates valid
>
> I added a question mark to the first item so we can consider it later.
> Most agreed on the second item, but a few thought the first one might be
> OK as is.

What are ISO dates? Are those the ones like 22 Feb 2003? Just wondering.

The one thing that should absolutely be turned off is day/month swapping
on dates of the form: 2003-02-22.

I've seen little actual defense of the current behaviour, I'd say more
like questioning whether or not we should change directions in mid stream
than defense.