Re: > 16TB worth of data question

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah(at)cs(dot)earlham(dot)edu>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: > 16TB worth of data question
Date: 2003-04-21 20:30:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On 21 Apr 2003, Jeremiah Jahn wrote:

> I have a system that will store about 2TB+ of images per year in a PG
> database. Linux unfortunatly has the 16TB limit for 32bit systems. Not
> really sure what should be done here. Would life better to not store the
> images as BLOBS, and instead come up with some complicated way to only
> store the location in the database, or is there someway to have postgres
> handle this somehow? What are other people out there doing about this
> sort of thing?

Then why not start right out on 64 bit systems? Low end 64 bit sparcs
Ultra 60 type stuff) aren't too expensive, and debian and a few other
flavors seem to run quite quickly on Sparc hardware.

There's also 64 mainframe linux, and a couple of other 64 bit platforms
that are fairly mature, IBM's Power Pc based systems run Linux as well.

If you're gonna play with big datasets, that's the one time that 64 bit
really starts to have advantages, and let's face it, you're gonna go there
eventually anyway, might as well get a head start now.