Re: Cross database reference (databases are on the same

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Flower Sun <sun_2002_flower(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql Group <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cross database reference (databases are on the same
Date: 2003-04-08 22:04:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Flower Sun wrote:

> Hi, Scott,
> Thank you for your reply. Can you give us a sample of using the first method using dblink?
> (My postgresql server is 7.2 preinstalled while installing redhat 8.0, I even cannot find the */contrib/* directory you mentioned).
> "scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> wrote:On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Flower Sun wrote:

You may or may not have the contrib directory. While I use redhat, I've
always run Postgresql from a tar.gz build, so I've always had the contrib
directory laying around. I think you could probably just download 7.2.4
and use the contrib directory from there for dblink. It has lots of
examples in it on how to use it in the /contrib/dblink/doc directory.

For example:

select dblink_connect('dbname=template1');
dblink_connect
----------------
OK
(1 row)

test=# select * from dblink('dbname=template1','select proname, prosrc
from pg_proc')
as t1(proname name, prosrc text) where proname like 'bytea%';
proname | prosrc
------------+------------
byteacat | byteacat
byteaeq | byteaeq
bytealt | bytealt
byteale | byteale
byteagt | byteagt
byteage | byteage
byteane | byteane
byteacmp | byteacmp
bytealike | bytealike
byteanlike | byteanlike
byteain | byteain
byteaout | byteaout
(12 rows)

so, it's pretty much a function set that connects to the other database
and lets you pull in data from it.