Re: REINDEX syntax?

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: REINDEX syntax?
Date: 2003-03-04 16:51:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >I think you need
> > Reindex database "TAL" force;
>
> You're right. Could that be added to the documentation? I didn't find
> any mention that quotes where needed at:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=1&file=sql-reindex.html

That's because that's not a reindexing issue. It's a capitalization
issue. Postgresql folds to lower case automatically. That is documented,
but much earlier in the documentation.

However, it's not covered in the reference documentation. Should such
things have a section in the reference manual? I.e. should I be able to
just read the reference docs and know this? I would think the reference
manual should have a section on SQL compliance / differences and things
like this. Not in the conversational tone of the User's Manual but in a
more technical documentation type format.

But how would that be organized? What would go in it?