Re: [GENERAL] [CYGWIN] What other parameters to consider when

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: P G <pg_dba(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] [CYGWIN] What other parameters to consider when
Date: 2003-02-14 19:19:15
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-cygwin pgsql-general

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, mlw wrote:

> You will not be able to get that many connections on a cygwin version of
> PostgreSQL. I think cygwin's limit is something like 64.
>
> P G wrote:
>
> >I need to increase the default max connection setting
> >from 32 to over 500. What other parameters should I
> >consider when adjusting this setting?

Is the Windows native port gonna help this? If someone says it will, or
if pg_dba is willing to give it a try by going here:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/InstallingOnWindows
and installing the beta of the native version and see if that helps.

If that can't do what you want you may need to build a unix server to
handle it, at least temporarily.

If you are gonna do it in Unix, search the general, performance, and admin
lists for all the info you need to setting the kernel to handle it first,
then the database to second. Things like max files, semaphores etc...

Can you even change that kind of stuff in cygwin? Or is it hard coded in?