Re: location of the configuration files

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>, Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-14 16:14:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, mlw wrote:

> scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> >>These are not issues at all. You could put the configuration file
> >>anywhere, just as you can for any UNIX service.
> >>
> >>postmaster --config=/home/myhome/mydb.conf
> >>
> >>I deal with a number of PG databases on a number of sites, and it is a
> >>real pain in the ass to get to a PG box and hunt around for data
> >>directory so as to be able to administer the system. What's really
> >>annoying is when you have to find the data directory when someone else
> >>set up the system.
> >>

> >Really? I would think it's easier to do this:
> >
> >su - pgsuper
> >cd $PGDATA
> >pwd
> >
> >Than to try to figure out what someone entered when they ran ./configure
> >--config=...
> >

> Why do you think PGDATA would be set for root?

Did you not notice the "su - pgsuper" line above? You know, the one where
you become the account that runs that instance of the database. Again, I
ask you, isn't that easier than trying to find out what someone typed when
they typed ./configure --config=?

> >>Configuring postgresql via a configuration file which specifies all the
> >>data, i.e. data directory, name of other configuration files, etc. is
> >>the right way to do it. Even if you have reasons against it, even if you
> >>think it is a bad idea, a bad standard is almost always a better
> >>solution than an arcane work of perfection.
> >>

> >Wrong, I strongly disagree with this sentament. Conformity to standards
> >for simple conformity's sake is as wrong as sticking to the old way
> >because it's what we're all comfy with.
> >
> It isn't conformity for conformitys sake. It is following an established
> practice, like driving on the same side of the road or stopping at red
> lights.

But this isn't the same thing at all. Apache, when built from a tar ball,
goes into /usr/local/apache/ and ALL it's configuration files are there.
When installed as a package, my OS manufacturer decides where that goes.
Those are the two "standard" ways of doing things. I like that postgresql
installs into the /usr/local/pgsql directory from a tar ball. I like the
fact that it uses $PGDATA to tell it where the cluster is, so that all my
scripts, like pg_ctl, just know where it is without a -D switch each time.