Hi,

From: Deepa <kdeepa(at)midascomm(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Hi,
Date: 2003-02-12 12:50:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
While testing select query with where condition for primary key
and non primary key value, I got the following results

Base database size Time taken to select one record using one
query in milliseconds

With Primary key With Non primary Key

2000 15.8 15.7
10000 71.2 70.7
25000 174 173.5
100000 4319 3417

In the above result, I cannot able to see much difference between the
time consumed using primary key and non-primary key value. Even in some cases,
I can able to see that using non primary key value retrieves record faster than
using primary key.

I did the above test several times and I am getting the same
results. Can any one tell me, what could be the possible reason for this.

I ran the above test in the following system configuration.

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION
====================

Hard Disk : 4.3 GB
RAM : 64 MB
Processor : Celeron - 566 MHz
Swap space : 200 MB

SOFTWARE CONFIGURATION
======================

Operation System : Red-Hat Linux 7.2

Databases : PostgreSQL 7.1.3
(Available with
Red-Hat 7.2 installation)

Programing Language : C language

Note : To avoid load in the PC, I ran only the above test and hence there are
no other loads in the PC.

--

regards,
Deepa. K