Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Bjoern Metzdorf <bm(at)turtle-entertainment(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] H/W RAID 5 on slower disks versus no raid on
Date: 2002-11-21 21:24:00
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Bjoern Metzdorf wrote:

> > In fact, the linux kernel supports >2 drives in a mirror. Useful for a
> > mostly read database that needs to handle lots of concurrent users.
>
> Good to know.
>
> What do you think is faster: 3 drives in raid 1 or 3 drives in raid 5?

Generally RAID 5. RAID 1 is only faster if you are doing a lot of
parellel reads. I.e. you have something like 10 agents reading at the
same time. RAID 5 also works better under parallel load than a single
drive.

The fastest of course, is multidrive RAID0. But there's no redundancy.

Oddly, my testing doesn't show any appreciable performance increase in
linux by layering RAID5 or 1 over RAID0 or vice versa, something that
is usually faster under most setups.