Re: vacuum full

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Henrik Steffen <steffen(at)city-map(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum full
Date: 2002-11-21 19:12:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Henrik Steffen wrote:

> sorry, didn't notice your message posted to pgsql-general...
>
> but is there any method to see the size in bytes a particular index
> for a particular table takes?

There are some sql queries that can tell you the number of blocks used and
all, but I generally do it with oid2name (you can get it installed by
going into your source tree/contrib/oid2name and doing a make/make install
there.)

oid2name by itself will tell you the oids of your databases. On my fairly
fresh system it looks like this:

All databases:
---------------------------------
16976 = postgres
1 = template1
16975 = template0

Then,

'oid2name -d postgres' outputs this:

16999 = g
17025 = g_name_dx
16977 = gaff
16988 = test
16986 = test_id_seq
17019 = tester

So, I can do this 'ls -l $PGDATA/base/16976/17025'

to see how big the index g_name_dx is.