Re: Inquiry From Form [pgsql]

From: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: William <DarkCancerian(at)netscape(dot)net>
Cc: <info(at)pgsql(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inquiry From Form [pgsql]
Date: 2002-11-18 17:07:26
Lists: pgsql-php

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, William wrote:

> I code with PHP and use it to communicate with MySQL, if I started
> using PostgreSQL would I have to change my coding to communicate with
> the database?

Not really. The only issue is if you used MySQL proprietary stuff.
There's a lot of things in MySQL that are workarounds for it not being a
transactional database that won't work in Postgresql, but using the
"right" method (i.e. a transaction or ANSI SQL) will work just fine.

The only other thing to change is your mysql_xxx commands to pgsql_xxx
commands.

Also, Postgresql doesn't have a pgsql_lastinsert_id like MySQL, instead,
you do it like this:

(Warning pseudocode... :-)

begin;
insert into table yada (field1, field2) values (val1, val2);
select currval('yada_seq');
insert into table yada_child (field1, field2, y_id) values (val1, val2,
y_id);
commit;

i.e. you use currval('seqname') to find out what the id was that was just
inserted.