Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports

From: Matthew Kirkwood <matthew(at)hairy(dot)beasts(dot)org>
To: Igor Kovalenko <Igor(dot)Kovalenko(at)motorola(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date: 2002-05-09 00:25:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Igor Kovalenko wrote:

> Can you be more specific? What required syntax? I was talking about
> named pipe vs UDS socket...

Sorry, I meant semantics.

A pipe can have multiple readers and multiple writers. This is
no use for us.

A listening SOCK_STREAM Unix domain socket can have no readers or
writers, but only one listener (well, except that other processes
can inherit or be passed the socket). You have to connect() (and
the server must accept()) before read and write do anything. But
we have no use for that here. It's just an exclusive-only mutex
whose namespace is the filesystem.

It really is like a TCP socket, except that the address namespace
is the filesystem, and thus it's not available remotely.

Think of it as a TCP socket without the "which address and port
do I use, and how do I keep it secure" issues.

Matthew.