Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation

From: Brian Bruns <camber(at)ais(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation
Date: 2002-02-05 22:30:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Brian Bruns <camber(at)ais(dot)org> writes:
> > I also noticed on the TODO list someone has put SQL*Net support as a
> > network protocol. Is this a serious plan or just a pipedream?
>
> Pipedream, I'm afraid. No one has volunteered to actually do the work,
> and I'm not sure that Oracle provides enough documentation to allow a
> compatible implementation to be built, anyhow...
>
> regards, tom lane

Well, I'm offering to modularize the code for anyone who wants to take on
the reverse engineering effort, they'll have an easy time integrating it
into postgresql.

Brian

BTW, My master plan is to add DRDA support to not only postgresql, but
MySQL, interbase, SAP DB, and anything else I can lay hands on. The idea
being a single client capable of talking to DB2/UDB, Informix (with
gateway), MS SQL Server (with SNA gateway) and all the open source DBs.
;-)