pg_dump question

From: Laurette Cisneros <laurette(at)nextbus(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump question
Date: 2002-01-19 00:26:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We use pg_dump nightly to dump data from all tables in our databases (only
table data, makes restore easier, trust me on that).

My question is this:

I have many tables that have millions of rows.

Let's say I start the pg_dump...

Then, an update in a transaction occurs that updates 3 different tables
over a period of time.

Will some of the pg_dump table data be "out of sync"?

How exactly does pg_dump (if at all) handle transactions/table changes?

Thanks for the info.

--
Laurette Cisneros
(510) 420-3137