Re: Serious performance problem

From: "Tille, Andreas" <TilleA(at)rki(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Serious performance problem
Date: 2001-10-30 12:46:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD wrote:

> You could somewhat speed up the query if you avoid that the sort
> hits the disk. A simple test here showed, that you need somewhere
> near sort_mem = 15000 in postgresql.conf.
Well this are the usual hints from pgsql-general. I did so and
increased step by step to:

shared_buffers = 131072
sort_mem = 65536

This lead to a double of speed in my tests but this are settings where
an enhancement of memory doesn´t result in a speed increase any more.

When I was posting my question here I was talking about this "tuned"
PostgreSQL server. The default settings where even worse!

Kind regards

Andreas.