Re: How do I pack a class into a string? Is serialize available?

From: "Gurunandan R(dot) Bhat" <grbhat(at)exocore(dot)com>
To: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How do I pack a class into a string? Is serialize available?
Date: 2001-08-29 03:45:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On 28 Aug 2001, Doug McNaught wrote:

> "Gurunandan R. Bhat" <grbhat(at)exocore(dot)com> writes:
>
> > Is a postgres function to pack an entire row from a table into a
> > string available? I want something analogous to "serialize()" in php.

[expl. snipped]

> What problem are you trying to solve?

I wanted to write a small utility to keep two databases synchronised.
Whenever I add a row to a table in the local database, I intend to put a
trigger that would update a special table with the modified tablename and
the serialised version of the new row. I then copy this single table
across and rebuild my remote database.

And advice?

Thanks and regards,

Gurunandan