RE: RE: Universal admin frontend

From: "D(dot) Hageman" <dhageman(at)dracken(dot)com>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Pedro Abelleira Seco <pedroabelleira(at)yahoo(dot)es>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: RE: Universal admin frontend
Date: 2001-06-20 15:22:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> > What about a KDE or Gnome piece of software? In fact, I believe that such a
> > project may already be in its infancy...
>
> Please, dont' depend on those things. A lot of people dont' like
> KDE, Gnome. Pure Gtk would be enough for such a project.

I think people go ahead and throw the KDE and Gnome functionality into a
piece of software just because they can (maybe because they like it as a
buzzword?). Pure GTK would be best if that is the type of app you are
wanting to code and if you do decide to include gnome functionality -
don't make it some intwined with the rest of the code that their can't be
a --without-gnome switch to the configure program.

I do agree that java would be the best way to go. I kinda cringe to say
that because most java apps I have seen are pretty lousy and buggy
(personal opinion - no need for flames or holy wars here). I will say the
only java application I really did like was the java tools that Oracle
ships with their product. Very nice, very fast and fairly stable (in my
experience) - so I know that a nice product can be made if the right
people worked on it and enough thought went into the project.

--
|| D. Hageman <dhageman(at)dracken(dot)com> ||