Re: Re: connection pooling in JDBC driver

From: Richard Bullington-McGuire <rbulling(at)microstate(dot)com>
To: Gunnar R|nning <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>, <arkin(at)exoffice(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: connection pooling in JDBC driver
Date: 2001-03-09 14:29:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 9 Mar 2001, Gunnar R|nning wrote:

> [snip] Of course your milage may vary, but this is not really a pgsql
> related question... ;-D Unless of course we are talking about implementing
> pooling for the DataSource class, but that is somewhat unrelated as well...

That's something that I'm a bit confused about -- there is very little
documentation on the DataSource class in the sources. One comment in
particular confuses me:

/**
* This is a pool of free underlying JDBC connections. If two
* XA connections are used in the same transaction, the second
* one will make its underlying JDBC connection available to
* the pool. This is not a real connection pool, only a marginal
* efficiency solution for dealing with shared transactions.
*/

This is not a real connection pool?

It seems to me that the JavaDoc for this class should be expanded to
explain more just what kind of pool it provides.

--
Richard Bullington-McGuire <rbulling(at)microstate(dot)com>
Chief Technology Officer, The Microstate Corporation