Arrays vs separate system catalogs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Arrays vs separate system catalogs
Date: 2002-02-27 17:13:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

During my coding of the per-user/database settings, it occurred to me one
more time that arrays are evil. Basically, the initial idea was to have a
column pg_database.datconfig that contains, say,
'{"geqo_threshold=55","enable_seqscan=off"}'. Just inserting and deleting
in arrays is terrible, let alone querying them in a reasonable manner.
We're getting killed by this every day in the privileges and groups case.

What are people's thoughts on where (variable-length) arrays are OK in
system catalogs, and where a new system catalog should be created?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net