Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life

From: Alex Avriette <a_avriette(at)acs(dot)org>
To: "'Jean-Paul ARGUDO'" <jean-paul(dot)argudo(at)idealx(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: sdinot(at)idealx(dot)com, dbarth(at)idealx(dot)com
Subject: Re: Oracle vs PostgreSQL in real life
Date: 2002-02-27 17:32:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The "test" is a big batch that computes stuffs in the database. Here are the
timings of both Oracle and PG (7.2) :

Oracle on NT 4 : 45 minuts to go , 1200 tps (yes one thousand and two
hundred
tps)

Linux Red Hat 7.2 with PostgreSQL 7.2 : hours to go (statistically, 45
hours),
80 tps (eighty tps).

---

Jean-Paul, I think the problem here is not having postgres configured
properly. I am in a similar situation here where we are migrating data from
postgres into oracle. Postgres has been as much as 40x faster than Oracle in
many situations here. Note also that our oracle instance is on a quad
processor Sun 280R, and our postgres 'instance' is on a p3/1ghz. Iterating
over 440,000 xml 'text' fields in oracle takes about 4 days. In postgres it
takes 8 hours. Iterating over a 3.5M row table is just inconceivable for
oracle, and I do it in postgres all the time.

My suspicion is that our oracle instance is not tuned very well, and the
code that is manipulating the database (in this case perl) is much smarter
for postgres (we have separate developers to do perl-oracle interfaces).

Postgres is a fantastic, fast database. But you really must configure it,
and code intelligently to use it.

-alex