Re: pg_dump: use ALTER TABLE for PKs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump: use ALTER TABLE for PKs
Date: 2002-02-19 03:46:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Neil Conway writes:

> I've attached a patch which enhances pg_dump to use ALTER TABLE when
> defining the primary keys of a table (instead of including this
> information in the table definition).

I think you've got the "7.2 or later" theme in your patch mixed up. The
version number you're evaluating is the version of the database you're
dumping. The feature you're adding is dependent on the version of the
database you're restoring into. The version of the database you're
restoring into is always >= the pg_dump version. Thus, you don't need any
version checks. Plus, I think this patch is going into 7.3, no?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net