Re: Documentation gap: Perl interfaces

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation gap: Perl interfaces
Date: 2001-11-22 16:28:35
Lists: pgsql-docs

Tom Lane writes:

> I am not sure that it's worth transcribing interfaces/perl5/README
> into SGML, given that we aren't encouraging new development with that
> code anyway.

There's a pod2docbook, but it's not very pretty. Hand-tuning would be
required.

> But surely there should be some mention of DBI.

I've thought many times about a chapter "other client interfaces" (not
supplied with PostgreSQL). However, this would really only duplicate
information found on the web site (I hope), in the FAQ, at freshmeat,
CPAN, or whereever else, and it would tend to be outdated.

It's not our job to tell people what the wide world of database
programming has to offer. We control neither Perl nor the DBD:Pg driver,
so if we start bothering with that then there is no theoretical boundary
-- what about all the other Python, Scheme, Emacs Lisp, Ruby, or
language-of-the-day interfaces?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net